Office location: Berkeley, CA
Stillwater Sciences seeks a GIS Technician to work in our Berkeley office and provide support to innovative river restoration and watershed analysis projects throughout the western U.S.
The GIS Technician will:
- Work as an integral part of a multidisciplinary team of geomorphologists, biologists, and other professional staff.
- Provide a wide range of customized cartographic support, including maps for project reports, field efforts, presentations, and other needs.
- Perform basic geoprocessing and spatial analysis tasks related to cartographic production.
- Create/maintain metadata documentation and carry out basic data management practices.
- Support field tablet and handheld GPS (e.g., Trimble) preparation, processing and management.
- Periodically perform data entry, writing, field work, or other administrative or project-related tasks.
Qualified applicants should possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Natural Resources, or Environmental Science with a focus on GIS, Cartography and Physical Geography. Experience or coursework in physical or biological sciences a plus.
- 1-2 years of work experience in environmental field preferred.
- Knowledge of basic principles of cartography and graphic design, with demonstrated skills in digital cartography and geographic visualization.
- Experience with ESRI's ArcGIS Desktop/Pro software and a thorough understanding of spatial data manipulation and formats (shapefiles, geodatabases, kml/kmz, etc.), geographic projections and coordinate systems.
- Ability to perform basic geoprocessing and spatial analysis tasks, including data acquisition, data generation and digitizing, georeferencing, and data classification.
- Knowledge of statistics, experience with Excel, and other data analysis/statistical software.
- Experience with ArcGIS online, Collector/Field Maps, Trimble Pathfinder Office and other mobile data collection platforms a plus.
- Experience in open-source GIS software, web mapping and programming a plus.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a collaborative and deadline-oriented environment as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Strong work ethic, team player with a high commitment to quality and attention to detail, and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Availability, Compensation, and Application Details:
- Full-time position with benefit package after 3 months.
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience; total compensation range of approximately $40-$55K annually.
- Stillwater Sciences provides a competitive compensation package including a 401(k) plan and full health and dental care.
- Please provide a cover letter (including your requested salary range) with a resume, and GIS work examples in MS Word or PDF.
- Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
- A GIS skills test may be administered to applicants after interviewing.
- Position will remain open until filled.
- Electronic submissions preferred.
About Stillwater Sciences:
Stillwater Sciences (www.stillwatersci.com) is an employee-owned environmental consulting firm specializing in scientifically-based solutions to aquatic, terrestrial, and watershed resource management. We assist government agencies, NGOs, and private clients with environmental problem solving, planning, and permitting using a multi-disciplinary approach that integrates physical and biological processes. We have approximately 95 full-time dedicated and enthusiastic employees located within the Western US in nine offices. We maintain a collaborative work environment that promotes productive and rigorous applied scientific research. As employee-owners, we pride ourselves on defining and shaping our individual careers in a way that provides a healthy rhythm of work and life responsibilities. Success at Stillwater requires a blend of passion, initiative, commitment, flexibility, and teamwork. Stillwater Sciences is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Check us out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or LinkedIn.